Who is Dr. Felipe Alexandre?

Dr. Felipe Alexandre is the Senior Attorney and founder of Alexandre Law Firm.

He has been elected for six consecutive years as one of the top na immigration attorneys by the American Institute of Legal Counsel, most recently in 2022.

In 2021, he was listed among the Top 10 Immigration Attorneys in Florida, published by the Journal of Law and Practice.

On AVVO, na online platform that evaluates attorneys in the United States, Felipe Alexandre holds the highest score: 10. The score is calculated based on public records (state bar associations, regulatory agencies, and court records), along with other internet-published sources, experience, professional achievements, and disciplinary sanctions.

Between 2019 and 2021, he was recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers – a Thomson Reuters list that acknowledges excellence in professionals across over 70 legal practice areas. This honor is granted to no more than 2.5% of attorneys in the United States.

Can I enter the U.S. without a U.S. visa?

Entry into the United States typically requires a U.S. visa, unless you are a citizen of one of the countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Citizens of these countries can travel to the U.S. for up to 90 days for business or tourism without the need for a visa.

 If you are not a citizen of a VWP country, you generally need to obtain a specific visa for the purpose of your travel, whether it be for tourism, business, study, work, or other reasons. Each type of visa has specific requirements and application processes.

What are temporary U.S. visas?

There are various types of temporary visas for the United States, each intended for specific purposes such as tourism, business, study, temporary work, cultural exchange, among others. Some common temporary visas include:

Tourist Visa (B-1/B-2): For temporary trips for tourism, business, or visiting friends or relatives. 

Student Visa (F-1/M-1): For students enrolled in educational institutions in the U.S.

Temporary Worker Visas (H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, L-1, O-1, among others): For professionals wishing to work temporarily in the United States.

Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1): For participants in cultural, educational, or professional exchange programs.

Fiancé(e) Visa (K-1): For foreign fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens planning to marry in the U.S.

Spouse Visa for Military Fiancé(e) (K-2): For children of foreign military fiancé(e)s.

Spouse Visa for Foreign Spouse with K-3 Visa (K-3): For foreign spouses of U.S. citizens.

Child Visa for Foreign Spouse with K-4 Visa (K-4): For children of foreign spouses of U.S. citizens.

These are just a few examples, and there are other temporary visas for specific purposes. Each visa type has distinct requirements and procedures.

What are temporary U.S. work visas?

The United States offers various temporary work visas for foreign professionals. Some common visas include:

H-1B Visa: For highly skilled professionals in specific fields such as information technology, engineering, medicine, among others.

H-2A Visa: For temporary agricultural workers.

H-2B Visa: For temporary workers in non-agricultural sectors such as tourism, hospitality, construction, among others.

L-1 Visa: For intra-company transfers, allowing employees from a foreign company to work temporarily in a U.S. branch.

O-1 Visa: For individuals with extraordinary abilities or notable achievements in fields like science, education, business, sports, or the arts.

E-2 Visa: For foreign investors wishing to invest and manage a business in the U.S.

E-3 Visa: Exclusive to Australian citizens wishing to work in a specialized occupation.

TN Visa: For Canadian and Mexican citizens working in specific occupations listed in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

These visas have specific requirements, and each is suitable for different situations and professions. The choice of visa depends on the individual circumstances of the applicant. Contact Alexandre Law Firm to understand the best option for your case.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card, also known as “United States Permanent Resident Card” or “Permanent Resident Card,” is a document that grants an individual the status of a permanent resident in the United States. Having a Green Card allows a person to live and work indefinitely in the U.S.

What are the ways to obtain a Green Card?

There are several ways to obtain a Green Card, including:

Employment-Based Green Card (EB): Granted to foreign workers with specific skills, investors, researchers, teachers, and other professionals.

Family-Based Green Card: Available for relatives of U.S. citizens or permanent residents, including spouses, children, parents, and siblings.

Asylum or Refugee Status: Individuals granted asylum or refugee status may eventually become eligible for a Green Card.

Diversity Visa Lottery: A lottery program that grants Green Cards to candidates from countries with low immigration rates to the U.S.

Victims of Crimes or Abuse: Certain victims of crimes or abuse may be eligible for a Green Card through specific programs. 

Immigration through Investment Program (EB-5): Foreign investors making substantial investments in U.S. businesses may qualify for a Green Card.

Having a Green Card offers many benefits, including the ability to live and work in the U.S. without significant restrictions. However, it’s important to note that there are duties and responsibilities associated with permanent resident status, and maintaining a valid Green Card requires compliance with U.S. immigration laws. If you want to apply for any of these visas, contact Alexandre Law Firm now; your achievement may be closer than you think.

What is the difference between an immigrant visa and a green card?

The fundamental difference between an immigrant visa and a Green Card (permanent resident card) lies in the nature of the status and the intention behind each document.

Immigrant Visa:

An immigrant visa is a temporary authorization that allows a foreigner to enter the United States with the intention of establishing permanent residence.

Immigrant visas include various categories, such as family-based visas, employment-based visas, refugee visas, and asylum visas, among others.

Obtaining an immigrant visa usually requires the approval of a specific petition, either by a family member in the U.S. or by an employer.

Once in the U.S., immigrant visa holders typically need to take additional steps to obtain permanent resident status.

Green Card (Permanent Resident Card):

A Green Card grants permanent resident status in the United States.

It is a more enduring document and, in many cases, is granted to individuals who initially entered the U.S. with an immigrant visa.

A Green Card offers a broader range of benefits, allowing the holder to live and work indefinitely in the U.S.

It can be obtained through various avenues, including employment, family, asylum, refugee status, diversity visa lottery, among others.

Therefore, while an immigrant visa is a temporary permit to enter the U.S. with the intention of permanent residence, the Green Card is the document that effectively confirms permanent resident status and grants broader benefits.

What is and what is the purpose of the combo card?

A Combo Card, also known as the Combo Employment Authorization and Travel Document, refers to a document that combines Employment Authorization (EAD) with Advance Parole for certain individuals in the United States awaiting adjudication of their adjustment of status.

Here are some key points about the Combo Card:

Employment Authorization (EAD):

The Combo Card contains Employment Authorization (EAD), allowing the holder to work legally in the United States while awaiting a decision on their immigration petition.

Travel Document (Advance Parole):

In addition to EAD, the Combo Card may include the travel permission known as Advance Parole. This allows the holder to temporarily travel outside the United States and return during the immigration process waiting period.

Adjustment of Status:

Typically, the Combo Card is issued to individuals awaiting approval of their adjustment of status application, the process by which a non-resident becomes a permanent resident in the U.S.

Travel During the Process:

Without Advance Parole, traveling outside the United States while waiting for adjustment of status approval can have negative consequences, such as entry denial.

Validity and Renewal:

The Combo Card has limited validity. It is important to monitor the expiration date and renew it as necessary, especially if the immigration process is ongoing for an extended period.

In summary, the Combo Card is a valuable tool for those in the process of adjusting status in the U.S., providing the ability to work legally and travel temporarily during this period.

Does a European passport help in obtaining a Green Card?

Having a European passport alone does not guarantee obtaining a Green Card in the United States. The Green Card is a permanent residency authorization in the U.S., and the process to obtain it involves different categories, such as employment, family, asylum, visa lottery, among others.

Is it possible to lose a Green Card?

Yes, it is possible to lose a Green Card in the United States for various reasons. Some common reasons that may lead to the loss of a Green Card include:

Abandonment of Permanent Residence:

If a Green Card holder spends an extended period outside the United States without meeting residency requirements, it may be considered abandonment of permanent residence.

Committing Serious Crimes:

Certain crimes, especially those considered serious, can result in the loss of a Green Card and even lead to deportation.

Violating Immigration Laws:

Violations of immigration laws, such as providing false or fraudulent information to obtain a Green Card, can lead to the loss of status.

Voluntary Relinquishment:

A Green Card holder may choose to voluntarily relinquish permanent resident status.

Administrative Revocation:

Immigration authorities may administratively revoke a Green Card if they discover that the initial grant was based on fraud or error.

Criminality or Illegal Activities After Obtaining the Green Card:

Involvement in illegal or criminal activities after obtaining the Green Card can lead to the loss of status.

Non-Compliance with Tax Obligations:

Failure to comply with U.S. tax obligations can have implications for maintaining the Green Card.

If you are facing a situation that may result in the loss of a Green Card, it is advisable to seek guidance from an immigration attorney to fully understand your options and the appropriate steps to take.

Where is Alexandre Law Firm (ALF) located?

ALF has 2 offices, one located at 136-20 38th Avenue Suite 10F Flushing, New York 11354, and the other at 17870 Castleton St., Suite 250 City of Industry, California 91748.

What are the most well-known and requested U.S. visas?

Some of the most well-known and frequently requested U.S. visas include:

Tourist Visa (B-2): For temporary leisure trips or family visits in the U.S.

Business Visa (B-1): For temporary business-related trips, such as conferences, meetings, and training.

Student Visa (F-1): For students enrolled in educational institutions in the U.S.

Temporary Work Visa (H-1B): For foreign professionals wishing to work temporarily in the U.S. in specialized occupations.

Employment-Based Skill Visas (EB-2 and EB-3): For foreign professionals with special skills and skilled workers, respectively.

What is the Visa Bulletin?

The Visa Bulletin is a monthly publication issued by the U.S. Department of State that provides information on the availability of immigrant visas. This bulletin is especially relevant for those seeking preference-based immigrant visas, such as immediate relatives, second-degree relatives, professionals, and skilled workers.

The bulletin presents a scheme of dates and categories, indicating when candidates in different preference categories can proceed to the next step of their processes. Dates are grouped by countries of origin and by the type of relationship with the sponsor in family visa cases.

What is a Business Plan?

A Business Plan is a document that describes in detail all aspects of a commercial enterprise. It includes information about the company’s vision and mission, market analysis, organizational structure, description of products or services, marketing strategies, financial projections, and other elements relevant to the operation of the business.

What is Refile?

Refile is the opportunity that every visa applicant has to resubmit their initial petition in case of denial. However, it is crucial to highlight that, to improve the chances of approval after refile, it is essential to thoroughly review all aspects that led to the initial denial. In this process, having the guidance of a licensed immigration attorney can be crucial. If you have faced a visa denial, we are here to guide you through every step of the refile process. Contact us to get the necessary assistance. Your path to the visa may be closer than you think!

What is NOID?

The USCIS, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, uses the acronym NOID to refer to “Notice of Intent to Deny.” This notification is sent to visa applicants when the USCIS intends to deny their petition or application. The purpose of the NOID is to offer applicants the opportunity to submit additional information or evidence that may reverse the denial decision.

What is the validity of a Green Card?

A Green Card is valid for 10 years. As the expiration date approaches, it is crucial to initiate the renewal process. Renewal ensures that you can continue enjoying the benefits of the Green Card without interruptions. At Alexandre Law Firm, we are here to streamline the entire Green Card renewal process. Our experts provide dedicated support to help you continue your journey in the U.S. with confidence.

× You need help?